- A General Theory of Love by Lewis, Amini and Lannon delves into the research that suggests we are healthier when connected to others. This the authors suggest is how psychotherapy works.
- Creatures of a Day: And Other Tales of Psychotherapy by Irvin D. Yalom is drawn from his therapeutic work. It chronicles clients’ struggles to find meaning in their lives and how they are grappling with their own mortality
- Mating In Captivity: Unlocking Erotic Intelligence by Esther Perel explores strategies for keeping sexual desire alive in long term committed relationships. Drawing on over twenty years as a couples therapist Perel uses case studies to underline the insight that autonomy is necessary for desire. She suggests playful and exciting strategies to bring desire back into relationships.
- What Do Women Want?: Adventures In The Science Of Female Desire by Daniel Bergner unveils the newest scientific research into female lust. Research that challenges many of society’s assumptions about women and sexuality.
- Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love by Sue Johnson outlines Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT). EFT views the love relationship as an attachment bond. This idea is supported by science, and has proven to be an effective way to save and enrich a relationship through reestablishing safe emotional connection.
- Why Marriages Succeed or Fail: And How You Can Make Yours Last by John Gottman is an upbeat, easy-to-follow manual based on research into the dynamics of married couples. Gottman provides suggestions to evaluate, strengthen, and maintain your own long-term relationship.
- SafePlace is a local organization providing resources for individuals and families affected by sexual and domestic violence. They also help victims in their healing so they can move beyond being defined by the crimes committed against them, and become Survivors.
- The Gottman Relationship Institute, founded by Dr. John Gottman, applies leading-edge research on marriage in a practical, down-to-earth therapy and trains therapists committed to helping couples. This approach to couples education and therapy relies on intensive, detailed, and long-term scientific study of why marriages succeed or fail.
- Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness by Jon Kabat-Zinn details how hospital patients have improved their health or simply come to feel better despite their illness by using mindfulness techniques. But these techniques are also helpful to anyone dealing with stress. Kabat-Zinn presents several meditation techniques that focus the attention using either a simple phrase, breathing, or various parts of the body.
- A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook by Bob Stahl and Elisha Goldstein provides practical exercises that can transform your life and even help you build a stronger brain. The authors have provided a step-by-step approach to bringing this scientifically grounded approach into daily life. The workbook includes a CD with more than eight hours of guided meditation.
- Parenting from the Inside Out by Daniel Siegel, MD & Mary Hartzell, MEd, explores the extent to which our childhood experiences actually do shape the way we parent. Drawing upon new findings in neurobiology and attachment research, the authors explain how interpersonal relationships directly impact the development of the brain, and offer parents a step-by-step approach to forming a deeper understanding of their own life stories, which will help them raise compassionate and resilient children.
- Raising An Emotionally Intelligent Child The Heart of Parenting by John Gottman and Joan Declaire provides parents with a five-step “emotion coaching” process to help teach children how to recognize and address their feelings. The process includes becoming aware of the child’s emotions; dealing with these emotions as an opportunity for intimacy; listening empathetically; helping the child label emotions; setting limits; and problem-solving.
- Circle of Security is a relationship based early intervention program designed to enhance attachment security between parents and children.